DEVELOPMENT PROPOSAL AT HIGHCREST (NOW RENAMED COAST), AT 176 ST. AND BARNSTON DRIVE – AS A FRASER HEIGHTS RESIDENT, YOU SHOULD OPPOSE
There is a development proposal for increased residential density and reduced commercial services for the existing Highcrest (now Coast) development at 9933 Barnston Drive East (176 St and Barnston Drive). This will not serve the residents of Fraser Heights in the way that was proposed when the development first got approved. In the original proposal, this development was to deliver a commercial portion that would provide retail services (eg corner store, coffee shop, services) within walking distance for existing and new development along Barnston Drive and 96 Ave from Pacific Academy to 182A St, and the new developments on 177A St – 182A St.
Now the proposal has greatly reduced any retail, and instead proposes more residential density with the associated parking issues and traffic congestion through Pacific Academy to 160 St, and inserts high-density buildings alongside current single family residences.
Why should you write to the planning department and oppose this development?
- A proposal very similar to this one was rejected by Surrey Council in 2017.
- Another proposal similar to this one was again rejected by the current Surrey Council in July 2021. Nothing has changed.
- This proposal is deficient in commercial / retail and green space and should be serving the needs of residents on the east side of Fraser Heights.
- This proposal contains a 6-storey building with residences, which is completely out of place in Fraser Heights. This would also set a precedent for the four apartment buildings slated for the SW quadrant of this developer’s property.
- On-property parking is not properly addressed. Current resident parking on Barnston Drive and 177A St will only become worse.
- This congestion, parking, and lack of services will only become worse when further development on this property will be submitted by this developer – there is still the potential for 300+ additional residential units to be built at some time in the future.
What can you do?
Take a few moments to register your opposition to this project in an email by simply following these steps:
- Create an email to
- Subject: PROJECT NO: 7921 – 0160 – 00 & 7920 – 0161 – 00, 9933 Barnston Drive East
- Identify that you OPPOSE the proposed development
- Be sure to include your name and address